Sunday, January 30, 2011

iPhone Skin - Most Pens Don't Want to Color Someone's World in Black

I posted this skin for sale today. Here is the story of its creation.

I drew this picture in around November 2010. Right in the beginning of my new found drawing kick. When I was younger, I would draw all the time. Then I got sick of it, so I stopped. Now that I am 30 I decided to give it a try again. Stuff was just feeling like coming out of my arm in a design format.

This design was actually supposed to turn out way different. I originally intended to only use silver, gold, copper colored pencils, and black ink. But I just couldn't stand it. I needed color! As you can see from this in-progress snapshot, the swirly thing wasn't there at first. I first wanted to make it a sun.


The swirly actually came to be after I totally screwed up the ink in the circle. I havent figured out how to erase ink mistakes yet. Those pens were so annoying, they kept running out of ink. They were just regular Pilot pens. It seemed like the picture didn't want to be so BLACK, hence the title of the drawing.

The squid eyeball and red and gold swirlies along the bottom and right side were also afterthoughts. This entire drawing, in fact, is pretty much totally ad-libbed. That is kind of rare for me. Usually I have a huge whim of inspiration and I create something that has some profound meaning. But this one is in the eye of the beholder. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment