Thursday, August 26, 2010

30 day trial - Starting after lunch

I always whine that I can'f focus on anything and I am so easily distracted. But maybe its because I surround myself with distractions. It's kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy - give myself distractions and I can always make the excuse that I can't focus.

So starting after lunch today, I am going to try the following challenge: No phone, no e-mail, no facebook during work or homework.

Most people would probably think, well yeah, DUH! No wonder you can't concentrate if you're playing with all that stuff when you're supposed to be working. Right? I know. I don't know why I think I am some exception to the rule. For some reason, I kept telling myself that I need these distractions in order to be productive. It wasn't until recently that I caught myself and said, seriously, what the HELL kind of logic is THAT?!

It is going to be REALLY hard at first. Again, it is about my personal value to others. If I am feeling a sense that I am not valuable to others, then I need to have these distractions around to fish for a way to be of value somewhere. I feel paralyzed without a sense of value. I am going to have to learn that my current focus is on the baby steps to REAL value. Not just artificial value that I feel when I find someone to give advice to or have a good conversation with.

I am never going to satisfy my need to feel valuable externally. I need to be of value to myself, by focusing on working on the building blocks for my future.

Wish me luck! But only during lunch break or when my homework is done. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment